Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Sunken Gardens, Storms...

On Sunday after church we went and walked through the Sunken Gardens. It was really beautiful,...the kids were kinda crabby from missing nap times, and it got pretty hot. But I am glad we went. Good place for a Sunday afternoon.

This big gazebo had a metal top and stone pillars. I thought it was cool how they have the Capital building carved into it.

A pond with fish and lily pads.



The boys hanging out after our little outing.

One thing that has felt different here than what I remember in Utah is the thunder storms. When I would hear or read books about this area they referred to rolling thunder. I of course did not know what they meant. It is like hearing a big metal barrel rolling toward you, and it lasts so much longer. The lightning is really crazy too, the sky is almost constantly lit up with it. It is really beautiful. And last but not least, the rain. When it rains here I feel like it is going to cause flooding every time! From start to finish it comes hard and fast, down pouring. It had only been raining a few minutes when I took these pics. The grass was already flooding, and water gushes from our rain gutters like a fire hydrant! (I might be exaggerating, but just a little.)


This was after it stopped raining. We could see the sun going down in the distance, but the lingering dark clouds cupped behind.


1 comment:

Krysta said...

Did I ready that you're coming to DC?! We love DC! Let me know if you're housing plans fall through. We are renting our condo in Arlington while we are gone for the semester too. krystacrane(at)gmail(dot)com