Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Smile Pretty Ben!


After 3 full days and nights, Ben began to react to a few simple commands. While this was very exciting for our family, we still know that Ben has a long, long way to go. He's still going to stay in the ICU for a few more days while they monitor his breathing and other basic functions, then he will be moved to Intermediary Care until he is able to begin rehabilitation. But like I mentioned, we have no idea how long all of this may take, but we sure are grateful for the small steps that have already been achieved.
Ben was able to say a few words today. He told Mom that he loved her, asked for a blanket, gave a Doctor what-for for pinching him, and told Julie that he didn't want drugs because then they'd make him go to rehab. It was wonderful to hear these few short sentences, but we also know that he was pretty much sleep-talking because it mostly made no sense.
Mom said it would be alright to post this picture. I went into Ben's room today to see how he was and asked him if I could take some pictures. He nodded his head so I snapped a few, then jokingly said, "Smile pretty Ben." Much to my surprise, he gave me this goofy grin that I was able to get a few snaps of. He would only hold the smile for a second, then I'd have to ask him to do it again, and he would. We sure are glad to see that Ben's personality is still goofy.
We Love You Ben. Keep resting up and healing. We hope to have you back as soon as possible!

3 comments:

The Asper's said...

AHH! Change the paper, I can't read your blog!! Sorry for being a pest, but some people don't have good eyes and can't decipher through the criss cross :)

Anonymous said...

You are so good to take a picture of Ben so we could all see him smile, now we just pray that he will return to himself soon.

Mark said...

I am so glad that you mad a comment on my blog it is good to see how adorable your family is. I am so sorry about your brother but it looks like things are looking up!! Just a reminder that we are having a BBQ on saturday the 15th. it will be at two. It sounds like you are busy but I hope that we will be able to see you there.