Sunday, October 5, 2008
A Week Off...
This week was so great because Kyle got the whole week off for National Day. We had such a great time being together and going around to different places.

Some of the little shows going on along the street during National Day. Some make up job huh?
Picture of the Library Building

Some pictures of us at the Library. We went to get some books Kyle needed for school. There was a section of English books which was nice. They had the classics like Pride and Predjudice, Sense and Sensibility, Jane Eyre, Gone with the Wind, Wuthering Heights,...but not much else. Still it was fun to go and browse for a while. It has been so great not having to work here because I have had a chance to read again. I have always loved reading, but have never gotten to the classics. I have downed about four now and am ready for more!
We went to the Fabric Market this week, which was a blast! Kyle got another suit ordered since the last one turned out so perfect, and of course this time I had some stuff made. This is a picture of the silks I got. It was so fun, we love that place!
The Drum Tower.
How amazing is this? This lady is painting a small bottle from the INSIDE! Some of the pictures are so elaborate, it was incredible. She even was painting one while we stood there and watched. What an amazing talent!
Many of the painted bottles

We did lots of shopping this week including most of our souvenir shopping. I am just sad that we cannot bring home all the big and/or fragile things we have seen because they are either too heavy or have a pretty good chance of breaking. They have such beautiful things here. So delicate and lovely. All the little details and finishing touches are important to them. Nothing is left unnoticed.
Kyle and the fur
We found a Papa Johns! We knew they had an area with some western foods and things where many expatriets go. We just could not find it. Finally, we scored. What a treat, Papa Johns is my favorite pizza place and though it was not exactly the same it was close enough.
Damon, Kyle, Samuel, Anna, and Elena eating at Papa Johns. It is interesting, here in China the really nice places to eat are Pizza Hut and Papa Johns (for western food anyway). They are both a little more expensive that everything else, and are sit down places. Kinda weird for these pizza places to be all fancy and stuff, but I guess you can get a few things besides pizza like pasta and salad.
Daber doesn't like having to sit in high chairs anymore. Whenever we go out he has a fit when we put him in one. He just loves being independent and able to move around on his own. Kyle was trying to sympathize with him but it did not go over well.
We also found a Cold Stone ice cream place which made Kyle as happy as ever! (Damon too)


When we went to Ancient Culture Street there was a reinactment of an ancient marriage ceremony (we suppose they were doing it for National Day). It was kinda like a mini parade with people dressed up, flags, props, and at the end they lit fire crackers and shot streamers in the air. It was fun to watch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Charise and Kyle! I'm so glad you found my blog! It's always so fun to see what old friends are up to. I can't believe you are in Hong Kong. That is so cool.
We are currently in Pittsburgh, PA. Josh just started medical school here, so we'll be here for at least 4 years and then who knows where.
It's good to here from you and great to read your blog.
It looked so much fun just walking around and shopping in China......make us so jealous :(
I am sooo jealous of all the awesome things you guys are experiencing. It looks gorgeous and amazing. Damon is getting huge! And even more handsome, he kinda looks like your dad now I think. I can't tell. Have you read Wuthering heights? I really want to.
Charise!! Your blog is so cute!! I don't have the internet for a little while so I haven't been able to keep up on important things like blogging! I am so glad Kyle had a week off! How fun you got to spend time together! Charise another month down! You are probably not counting down as much anymore but I sure am! Miss you and thanks for tagging me! I will do it later!! love ya
Kai
How fun all the national holiday activities. I love that you found papa johns and cold stone, sounds yummy.
Seriously, most of these pictures look like they came out of a magazine. What awesome experiences you guys have had! Mmmmmm papa johns is one of my favorites! You guys are going to be so glad to get back to normal food I bet! That is so funny about Damon already rejecting the high chair...Kaylee started to do that but I always forced her to go in it to prevent her from making a huge mess on the dining table...I still put her in it every once in awhile! I'm mean. So, that makes me feel so much better to hear that everything was negative with your needle stick. It gives me hope. It really is such a scary thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done that!
Such great pictures Reese! It was so fun to talk to you guys last night. Thanks for tagging me, sorry I haven't gotten around to it yet. I could probably just copy and paste what you wrote! =) Will you be on skype in the morning? We need to talk.
I love finding known food in china even though it is not so close to the real thing it tastes amazing. Was it so expensive? We were in bejing on national day wow talk about alot of people!!
Post a Comment