Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Drum Tower

We went to a place called the Drum Tower today, which is this place in Tianjin where they preserved some of the original city. It was awesome! As you can see in the pictures the architecture and design is so beautiful. All along the center of the street between the buildings were little shops with Chinese paintings, furniture, carvings, jewelery, pottery, and more. Some things looked very old and fragile. It was so great! I just wish we could take it all home with us. One of the other interns from LG, Joelle, came with us today. We had so much fun looking at everything and admiring the wonderful view.
Us at the entrance
One side of the road with little shops on the left
This was so great too. There were these old men practicing their calligraphy on the sidewalk with big sponge brush things that they dipped in water. It was so cool!
They wrote 'Welcome Our Distant Friends'. They thought it was pretty neat that Kyle could speak Chinese with them. :)

Some people think that Damon is a pretty chubby boy (the Chinese sure do) and call him Buddha. We thought it would be fun for them to have a picture together.
Some building on the outside of the walkway
Looking back on the street and shopping center
The front of a place called Food Street.
Yes, these are snails. They were in a little market area by a restaurant. They were still moving all around, I guess when it says fresh snails on the menu they mean it. Eww!!!
These made me sick to my stomach. When we were walking into the restaurant to eat, I looked over into this bucket and saw...swimming eels!!!!!!!!! I almost lost it.
Luckily they still had some normal meat on the menu. Chicken, beef, lamb,..oh what a relief! This is me and Joelle. Happy to be eating our non-exotic food.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute pictures of Damon with the Chinese Budda. I am very glad that you were able to eat a little bit of normal food, so that you did not have to eat snails and eels, ya I would probably be the same way, not really excited to eat and feel more like throwing up than eating.

Mark said...

Looks like so much fun. The buildings are amazing!! The food is discusting at first but I promise it grows on you!! I will never forget the stinky food corners! Every once in a while I get a bad smell here in the states and it brings me back to the good ol smells of china.

Kaija said...

Oh my gosh SICK!! I bet you were dying! Look at you eating like a pro with those chopsticks! I think of you everytime I am watching the Olympics!! Do you guys get to go to any events? and no Damon is not chubby and does not resemble Buddha!!